Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reeling

Yesterday we had a birthday party for myself and Nance with the whanau around. It was a typical affair: lots of meat, carbs and sweets! Just as we were prepping the chocolate cake with candles we received a phone call from Bishop Ruth advising that our good friend Sammy Saili had passed away. He had a heart attack while waiting for his train to depart Wellington Station.

We are all stunned as he was only 41 and seemed to be the picture of health. Just last Thursday I was at a service project with him and his sons - moving a load of metal from a front yard to a retaining wall via shovel and wheelbarrow power. After five loads with the wheelbarrow he called me out for a rest ;) He was a man of faith and action. He was always willing to help, and his family were always accomodating too.

We have already had our 'three' deaths over the past weeks: Dick's Mum, Christine's Dad and Janet's Dad (they were all pretty old and the deaths weren't unexpected - still sad though and they will be missed.) So this one was a real bolt. I think I am more affected by the loss of Sammy than I was when my own Grandmother died. It's probably the combination of what we (mere mortals) would perceive as a "premature departure"; and the things both he and his kids will miss out on (priesthood ordinations, missions, marriage, grandkids). But the Lord is in control. He knows us, and he knows when. I am grateful to have had Sammy as a friend, and to have worked with him in the Bishopric and on the Stake.


He leaves behind Rachel, their six children: Sheree, Chevon, Chris, Charmina, Audie and Monica; and one granddaughter: Siena.

No comments: